Tuesday, April 17, 2007

on hope

Sorrow drips into your heart through a pinhole Just like a faucet that leaks and there is comfort in the sound But while you debate half empty or half full It slowly rises, your love is gonna drown.- Death Cab For Cutie (Marching Bands of Manhatten)
____________________________________________________________


I think I'm still drunk,

I say with a cool washcloth blocking any hint of light from creeping up to worsen the headache I feel. I close my eyes and let water drip down my temple and splash the white pillowcase beside my head.

My friend laughs, I hear the water run in the hotel bathroom, the door open. I hear light footsteps walk into the room, a touch at the foot of the bed.

When did you wander in last night?

I contemplate a response, forced to rethink the evening before.

I remember it in clips-

First us girls, sipping our drinks, wandering if we should wander down to the big party.

Then it was just a few friends, and a lot of shots. Shots to Ben. Shots to Lindsey. Shots to make me feel less sober than I did at that moment.

It didn't really work for me,

But Lindsey wasn't around the rest of the night.

I remember going up to my room. Going to slip my key in the door. Trying to be soundless. Seeing him in the hallway, trying not to be seen in return; of course you're only invisible when you don't want to be, and I get called out to.

Wait!

I pause at the door, wandering if I could just pull the key out, slip in the room before he makes it down the hall. He'd have to guess which door was mine- but he'd probably guess right.

I feign a smile.

Hey, hows it going?

He can't have anything worth telling me, can he?

I guess wrong- and cringe now from the comfort of my bed.

That late, huh?

I groggily touch the washcloth, lifting it slightly to peer out. She sits at the foot my bed, smiling back at me.

I was back by 5,

I say, glancing at the clock before letting the cool touch once again obscure my vision.

Five,

five in the morning. That means I still have several hours unaccounted for.

I try to think back, but it doesn't all come to me, not all in order. Not all making sense.

Wasn't I in a room again? Was that before I went back to my room, ran into him? Or earlier.

I think earlier.

I just remember the moment where I realized I messed up.

When the words said to me made sense,

and I just stopped caring.

I don't want to think about it.

I missed Fergielicious- probably the best karaoke moment of the night that I didn't get to enjoy.

I stand outside with all the drunk people that like to smoke- I hate smoking.

I don't remember hearing you come in.

Her voice brings me back to the room, and I force myself to breathe-

just breathe and relax and maybe the room and the darkness will stop spinning and something will make sense.

But I doubt it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in a sinister spiral, my friend. Please recognize how noble your being really is. Do not wash that nobility away with casual and senseless drinking. Your current path is NOT skillful. Stop and consider. Please.

Start doing SOMETHING differently. Big HOg and a Cuss ~R

February 19, 2008 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home