Saturday, June 30, 2007

on something unexpected

It's not hard to fall, and I don't wanna lose, it's not hard to grow, when you know that you just don't know. -Damien Rice (Cannonball)

_______________________________________________



The sudden downpour all around me is amazing-

I can't help but reach out my arm, letting the cold droplets splash across my skin, an eerie glow from the porchlight illuminating the pecuilar gesture.

But an arm is not enough,

and I rush out into the storm, standing in the grass, twirling as I become soaked to the bone in only a matter of seconds.

One false twirl, and I fall to the ground, my flipflops flying off landing in the grass around me.

You rush out to me-

Are you okay?

I laugh, peering up at you as I lay on the ground, the rain splattering my face, you looking so incredibly uncomfortable.

You put out a hand to help me up,

and I take it but not with the same intent.

Lay down with me.

You're crazy,

you tell me, refusing, trying to get me to stand.

I begrudgingly get up, and allow you to lead me back to the dry porch, the orange glow, and another familiar face.

I sit down on the ledge again, my hand absently finding its way out towards the cool air, the wet sky.

You shake your head at me-

You're drunk.

I turn, looking you right in the eyes.

So are you.

Which is why we should both just go inside.

Your voice is stubborn; your eyes pointedly avoid my piercing gaze.

I think I like it out here, better.

I stand again, slipping past your half hearted attempt to grab my arm, and once again am in the yard, standing, letting the rain refresh me just a little more.

Come here.

You shake your head, and my hands rest on my hips.

Well, I'm not coming to you. So I guess i'll just stay out here.

Don't be dumb- you're shivering. Just come back to the porch and we can talk.

Something in the overly logical tone of your voice sends me over the edge, and I do head back to the porch, but with different intentions.

Fine. I'll find someone else to dance with me.

You block my entrance, and I sit down stubbornly on the ledge again.

What do you want?

I play with hands in my lap, not looking up at you, forcing you to answer your own question.

Look, I can't do this.

Why not?

I peer up from behind the wet locks of hair in my face, to see your pained expression.

You're gorgeous- but you're drunk.

I only let the first part of your sudden truth sink in, as a faint smile plays on my lips.

You think i'm gorgeous?

Shut up. You know everyone says I follow you around like a lost puppy dog. But i'm not taking advantage of you. You're not thinking clearly.

Neither are you,

I retort, stung.

This is me. Throwing myself at you. What are you going to do about it? Just stand there?

You seem surprised by my bluntness- your voice temporarily lost. I take advantage of the moment to once again engage you-

Why didn't you stay in the rain with me?

You sigh, running your hand across your head, clearly aggitated.

I can't. Please. You're not thinking about this- I would have loved to stay out there with you. But I don't want to be just some one night stand.

I rise then, brushing past you as I walk inside.

Then don't be.

1 Comments:

Blogger `Koa said...

Careful, there, dear. This will only grow more complicated and dangerous as it goes on, and I don't want to be hearing about any sudden turns in events.... though I'd probably read about it, anyway.

Is it all the same guy? I guess so... Sometimes, though, people just back of because they don't know what to say, and maybe that's why he didn't follow. I think there's a lot more at stake than just you and him. Or maybe he feels you're a big girl, and can get over it on your own? Who knows. Guys think weird anyway.

August 02, 2007 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home