Monday, May 01, 2006

on first.... somethings.

There's one thing I want to say, so i'll be brave. You weren't what I wanted, I gave what I gave. I'm not sorry I met you, I'm not sorry it's over. I'm not sorry there's nothing to say."- Stars (Your Ex-Lover is Dead)
________________________________________________

Hey, Don't I know you from somewhere?

I turn to see a cute familiar face at the table beside me. I force a smile on my face and shrug.

I'm not sure...?

Did you go to Willard?

No...

Oh. Did you go to OTC?

No, I go to Missouri State. Sorry.

I walk off without another word, holding my aloof composure as best as I possibly can. Just act cool.

I walk straight across the room to where Josh is, grab my small cup of softserve, and take a huge bite.

I lied, I do hold a grudge.

Josh laughs at this.

I thought you did. I know you better then that, Natalie. But I didn't want to say anything.

I glower in the general direction of the boy across the room. What's his name? I can't even think of it. I think it's Danny. He's romanian, that much I remember. And when I was 15, he definitely broke my heart. There's something about that first "love"- first big crush that sticks with you. I didn't even think about it, or him- and then seeing him in the store tonight, just blew me away. 5 years have passed. He doesn't look any different- still has a boyish attractiveness to him. But I don't find myself swooning at the sight of him, like I did when I was 15 and working the register at CiCi's Pizza. What a first job.

I'm not sure what Danny is to me. A first something. First big heartbreak. What a shame. Seeing him makes me realize how much I've changed since I was an idealistic sophomore.

I get over my grudge some as the night goes on. Still, I can't believe he didn't remember me. We did work together for half a year. I'm humming along to the song on the radio as I get ready for my checkout, as he stands to leave. He looks at me-

I remember. You worked at CiCi's, right?

I swallow hard, and force that smile again.

Yeah.

He smiles again, and nods a goodbye to me.

I almost wish he hadn't remembered me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home