Thursday, January 17, 2008

on drowning on dry land

I'm gasping for the air to fill my lungs with everything i've lost. -Snow Patrol (It's Beginning to Get to Me)
__________________________________________________________

At first there is the shock as I fall deeper in the bluegreengray abyss-

I am drowning.

I am drowning, and no I am not asleep, I am fully awake-

and is this really what its like? Is this really the end?

I feel oddly at peace, with this realization that this is it for me. All of those things that seemed to matter so much seem so insignificant now.

All I can do is be aware, aware that I have not the strength to stay above, to fight. I watch the sunlight disappear as I slip further still, gasping and feeling my lungs fill with water, yet it doesn't hurt- can't hurt. I always thought there was more, for me.

With a gasp, my eyes flutter open and for a second, enveloped in the darkness, I am terrified.

Then I remember-

it was just a dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home